I did my Bachelor of Computer Science from the National University of San Juan, San Juan, Argentina, in 1993, and my Master's and Ph.D. in Computer Science from Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, under the supervision of B. John Oommen. I have been with the School of Computer Science at the University of Windsor, Canada, from 2002, when I joined as assistant professor. I am currently a Full Professor in computer science, since my promotion in 2013. My current research interests are mainly focused on devising shallow and deep machine learning algorihtms at the fundamental level and applications to protein-protein interaction and dynamics, transcriptomics, microRNA prediction, integrative genome-wide analysis, and identification of cancer biomarkers.
I am a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) and a member of the International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR) and the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB). I am Associate Editor of Network Modeling Analysis in Health Informatics and Bioinformatics (NetMAHIB). I am also a member of the Technical Committee on Pattern Recognition for Bioinformatics (IAPR TC-20) and the program committees of several conferences. I am a principal investigator of the research group on Machine Learning in Bioinformatics Lab at the University of Windsor.
- Dec 3 2019: New journal publication: O. Hamzeh, A. Alkhateeb, J. Zheng, S. Kandalam, C. Leung, G. Atikukke, D. Cavallo-Medved, N. Palanisamy, L. Rueda (2019). A Hierarchical Machine Learning Model to Discover Gleason Grade Group-specific Biomarkers in Prostate Cancer. Diagnostics. In Press.
- Nov 1 2019: Invitation is open to submit a paper to Neurocomputing - Special Issue on Deep Neural Networks for Precision Medicine.
- Sep 20 2019: Congratulations Nazia Fatima for receiving your MSc degree in computer science... the best wishes for your future endeavors!
- Jun 5 2019: Invitation is open to submit a paper to MODI 2019 - Workshop on Machine Learning Models for Multi-omics Data Integration, in conjunction with The 10th ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, and Health Informatics (ACM BCB 2019), to be held in Niagara Falls, NY, USA, Sep 7-10, 2019. Co-chairs: A. Alkhateeb, L. Rueda. Submission deadline: June 20, 2019.
- Mar 26 2019: Invitation is open to submit a paper to Evolutionary Bioinformatics, Special Collection on Machine Learning Models for Multi-omics Data Integration. Editors: A. Alkhateeb, L. Rueda. Deadline: December 31, 2019.
- Mar 10 2019: New journal publication: S. Jubair, A. Alkhateeb, A. Abou Tabl, L. Rueda, A. Ngom (2019). Identifying subtype specific network-biomarkers of breast cancer survivability. BMC Bioinformatics Suppl, 2019. In Press.
- Mar 08 2019: New journal publication: A. Abou Tabl, A. Alkhateeb, W. El-Maraghy L. Rueda, A. Ngom. A machine learning approach for identifying gene biomarkers guiding the treatment of breast cancer. Frontiers in Genetics, 2019. In Press.
- Jan 31 2019: New journal publication: A. Alkhateeb, I. Rezaeian, S. Reddy, D. Cavallo-Medved, L. Porter, L. Rueda. "Transcriptomics signature from next-generation sequencing data reveals new transcriptomic biomarkers related to prostate cancer." Cancer Informatics, 2019. In Press.
New: I currently have an opening position for a Master's student in computer science with strong profile in mathematics. Prospective studends must have background in computer science (B.Cs Hons in computer science or equivalent) and broad and deep knowledge of linear algebra, probability theory, algorithms and optimization. Knowledge of dynamic programming is an asset. Interested prospective students shall contact me indicating in the subject of their email, their intent to be considered for this position.
I currently have opening positions for undergraduate, Master's and PhD students. Partial financial support is available from the School of Computer Science and the Faculty of Science, in terms of scholarships and teaching assistatnships. Research assistatnships are currently available for outstanding PhD students only. Prospective students at all levels are encouraged to contact me about my short and long-term research projects in shallow and deep machine learning at the fundamental level and with applications to protein-protein interaction and dynamics, transcriptomics, microRNA prediction, integrative genome-wide analysis, and identification of cancer biomarkers. More information for prospective students can be found in the Prospective Students page.
- Ontario Centres of Excellence -- TalentEdge Award. University of Windsor, 2018.
- Collaborative Interdisciplinary Research Award. Faculty of Science, University of Windsor, 2016.
- Runner up for Best Paper Award -- Travel Award. Paper presented at CIBCB 2015. S. Singireddy, A. Alkhateeb, I. Rezaeian, D. Cavallo-Medved, L. Porter, L. Rueda, "Identifying Differentially Expressed Transcripts Associated with Prostate Cancer Progression using RNA-Seq and Machine Learning Techniques", Niagara Falls, Canada, 2015.
- Certificate of Appreciation. In recognition for contributions toward the development of the Master's of Applied Computing Program. Faculty of Science, University of Windsor, 2015.
- I have been awarded a Seeds4Hope grant by the Windsor-Essex County Cancer Centre Foundation. Latest story in the Windsor Star.
- RECOMB 2020: The 24th Annual International Conference on Research in Computational Molecular Biology, May 10-13, Padova, Italy.
- ISMB 2020: The 25th Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, July 12-16, Montreal, Canada.
- BIBM 2020: The 2020 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics; Biomedicine, TBD.
- ACM-BCB 2020: The 11th ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and Biomedicine, TBD.
- IWBBIO 2020: The 8th International Work-Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedical Engineering, May 6-8, Granada, Spain.
- ICPR 2020: The 25th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, September 13-18, Barcelona, Spain.
- IAPR Sponsered Conferences.
- ISCB Sponsored Conferences.
School of Computer Science
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Ave., Windsor, ON, N9B 3P4, Canada
Phone: +1 519-253-3000 x 3002
E-mail: lrueda -at- uwindsor.ca
Main Portal: http://luisrueda.cs.uwindsor.ca