I did my Bachelor of Computer Science from the National University of San Juan, San Juan, Argentina, in 1993, and my Master's and Ph.D. in Computer Science from Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada, under the supervision of B. John Oommen. I have been with the School of Computer Science at the University of Windsor, Canada, from 2002, when I joined as assistant professor. I am currently a Full Professor in computer science, since my promotion in 2013. My current research interests are mainly focused on devising shallow and deep machine learning algorithms at the fundamental level and applications to protein-protein interaction and dynamics, transcriptomics, microRNA prediction, integrative genome-wide analysis, and identification of cancer biomarkers.
I am a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) and a member of the International Association for Pattern Recognition (IAPR) and the International Society for Computational Biology (ISCB). I am Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics. I am also a member of the Technical Committee on Pattern Recognition for Bioinformatics (IAPR TC-20) and the program committees of several conferences. I am a principal investigator of the research group on Machine Learning in Bioinformatics Lab at the University of Windsor.
My CV can be accessed here
|Follow me on...
- Apr 22 2021 - Note: This page is not being updated frequently and some of the newer events and research projects are not listed here. For more details on my recent research contributions, refer to my List of Publications, or follow my research and publications in the most popular scholar databases (see the links above).
- Apr 22 2021: Congratulations Saiteja Danda for successfully defending your MSc Thesis!... I wish you the best in your future endeavours!
- Apr 18 2021: New journal publication: A. Neisari, S. Saad, L. Rueda. Spam Review Detection Using Self-organizing Maps and Convolutional Neural Networks, Computers & Security, 2021, In press. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cose.2021.102274.
- May 07 2020: New journal publication: N. Fatima and L. Rueda. iSOM-GSN: An Integrative Approach for Transforming Multi-omic Data into Gene Similarity Networks via Self-organizing Maps, Bioinformatics, 2020, btaa500, DOI.
- Apr 16 2020: Congratulations Huy Pham Quang for successfully defending your PhD Thesis... the best wishes for you in the future!
- Apr 1 2020: I have joined the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics.
- Mar 20 2020: Congratulations Osama Hamzeh for successfully defending your PhD Thesis... the best wishes for you in the future!
- Feb 20 2020: New journal publication: A. Alkhateeb, G. Atikukke, L. Porter, B.A. Fifield, D. Cavallo-Medved, J. Facca, Y. El-Gohary, T. Zhang, O. Hamzeh, L. Rueda, S. Kanjeekal (2020). Comprehensive targeted gene profiling to determine the genomic signature likely to drive progression of high-grade nonmuscle invasive bladder cancer to muscle invasive bladder cancer, Journal of Clinical Oncology, 38(6_suppl):568-568.
I normally have opening positions for undergraduate, Master's and PhD students. Partial financial support is available from the School of Computer Science and the Faculty of Science/Graduate Studies, in terms of scholarships and teaching assistatnships. Research assistatnships are only available for outstanding PhD students only. Prospective students at all levels are encouraged to contact me about my short and long-term research projects in shallow and deep machine learning, graph representation learning, graph neural networks, and dimensionality reduciton at the fundamental level and/or within applications to transcriptomics, single-cell RNA-seq data analysis, integrative genome-wide analysis, multi-omics integration and identification of cancer biomarkers. More information for prospective students can be found in the Prospective Students page.
- Mitacs Accelerate Award. Mitacs & Office of Research and Innovation Services, University of Windsor, 2021.
- Mitacs Accelerate Award. Mitacs & Office of Research and Innovation Services, University of Windsor, 2020.
- Ontario Centres of Excellence -- TalentEdge Award. University of Windsor, 2018.
- Collaborative Interdisciplinary Research Award. Faculty of Science, University of Windsor, 2016.
- Runner up for Best Paper Award -- Travel Award. Paper presented at CIBCB 2015. S. Singireddy, A. Alkhateeb, I. Rezaeian, D. Cavallo-Medved, L. Porter, L. Rueda, "Identifying Differentially Expressed Transcripts Associated with Prostate Cancer Progression using RNA-Seq and Machine Learning Techniques", Niagara Falls, Canada, 2015.
- Certificate of Appreciation. In recognition for contributions toward the development of the Master's of Applied Computing Program. Faculty of Science, University of Windsor, 2015.
- I have been awarded a Seeds4Hope grant by the Windsor-Essex County Cancer Centre Foundation. Latest story in the Windsor Star.
- RECOMB 2021: The 25th Annual International Conference on Research in Computational Molecular Biology, Aug 29 - Sep 1, Padova, Italy. Hybrid event.
- ISMB 2021: The 26th Annual International Conference on Intelligent Systems for Molecular Biology, July 21-30. Virtual.
- BIBM 2021: The 2021 IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics; Biomedicine, December 9-12, Houston, TX, USA.
- ACM-BCB 2021: The 12th ACM Conference on Bioinformatics, Computational Biology and Biomedicine, Aug 1-4. Virtual.
- ICPR 2020: The 25th International Conference on Pattern Recognition, Jan 10-15 2021, Milano, Italy. Virtual.
- IAPR Sponsered Conferences.
- ISCB Sponsored Conferences.
School of Computer Science
University of Windsor
401 Sunset Ave., Windsor, ON, N9B 3P4, Canada
Phone: +1 519-253-3000 x 3002
E-mail: lrueda -at- uwindsor.ca
Main Portal: http://luisrueda.cs.uwindsor.ca